Sunday, September 22, 2013

Devil's Advocate Argument: Men are stronger than women

I received the following response to my article "Does our society create sexism?" from an anonymous man and I thought it was important to share just another example of inequality.

"I read your article asking if society creates sexism and I disagree. Biologically and historically, men and women are very different. Historically, men had to be the hunters and women the gatherers. Men had to be strong and fast to hunt for food, while women stayed back to nurse children and gather food, like berries. That is just one example. Biologically, it's a known fact that men are stronger than women. 
I am not alone in thinking that women are weaker then men. Last summer, writer Matt Juul wrote an article called "Want WMMA to Be Taken Seriously? Stop Objectifying the Fighters", calling attention on how men objectify women and their looks and how that effects the seriousness of Women MMA. 
Here are just a few of comments from other men:

"I will happily watch a good womens fight, but they r shit by comparison, most are curtainly not equal in qulity to their male counter parts... this is the case with most sports... let Rousey fight barao, same weight, rousey's probably bigger... if where talking equality make everyone of the same weight go together... why seperate genders if they r truly equal?" (User: gsp gnp) 


"Woman shouldn't be allowed to fight in the first place, it is just wrong." (User: David B.)


"I have no interest in seeing women beat the snot out of each other. I can watch women's BJJ or Judo, but that's about as far as it goes. WNBA, etc. are just less-talented versions of the men's sports. This is even more true with WMMA right now. That might change as more female athletes train for it from childhood, but for now, the average female doesn't have close to the talent (let alone power, strength, athleticism) as the average male pro. When I watched Rousey v. Tate, I found myself hoping neither of them got hurt. That's no way to enjoy MMA. I might be a minority in that opinion, but I'm not a huge minority." (User: Chris Bridges) 


The men above make great points. Women fighting and women sports are not as aggressive or interesting as men sports.  Women cannot physically be stronger than men. Women continue to ask for men to treat them equally, but I guarantee that I can fight any woman and beat her with one hand behind my back, because men are biologically faster and stronger than women. Women need to understand that they will never be as equal as men when it comes to their physical aspects. I am not saying women are not smart,I believe intellectually we are equal, but in a fighting situation, men will constantly over power women. I didn't have to be raised to believe that, I know it."

1 comment :

  1. I liked some of the quotes but at the same time I think the piece could have gotten the point across with a few less than what you included. If those quotes were from significant woman/male athletes they would have a completely different ring to them. There is a clear objective though in this piece and I was even surprised at the ending. I thought you were going to give credence to women being equal or stronger than men in certain other areas of life. But instead you went in a different direction and agreed with the claim that men will constantly overpower women. Interesting ending I thought it was powerful and unexpected.

    ReplyDelete