Friday, August 30, 2013

Why Taekwondo?

Taekwondo is a powerful martial art from Korea. The kicks and punches can be deadly, but that's not all that Taekwondo encompasses.

Taekwondo is about respect, integrity, self-control, and determination among many other characteristics.

Before Taekwondo entered into my life, I lacked control in some areas. I controlled many other things, for example I never smoked, did drugs, or drink. I still don't. It's important to me to have complete control of my own thoughts, and complete awareness of my surroundings. However, when I started college the only thing I said yes to was food. "Yes", to my friends when they went to dinner, and "yes" again to another group heading to the cafeteria.

I gained quite a bit of weight in college, and when I say quite a bit of weight, I mean I gained an entire person, and when I say an entire person, I mean I gained about 60 pounds. While some gain the freshman 15 in college, I gained the sophomore 15, the junior 15, and the senior 15.

I had no will or desire to do anything, but sit on the couch for hours and watch TV. It took me about 5 years after I graduated from college, and took a look at a photo of myself from before college and after college to realize how bad it was, how bad I let it become. "What did I do to myself".

I started slowly, very slowly, my weight had caused many back problems, as I had no strong core muscles to sustain me. It was so bad, that I was pulling my back all the time. I started walking every day, I replaced all junk food with healthy options, "goodbye bean dip" and "hello, hummus". As I built strength, walking became jogging, and jogging became running. Running became basketball, volleyball, jump rope, and other activities and the weight melted off. I lost 30 pounds in about a year and half. I desired to move more and had amazing amounts of energy.

And my dream of practicing martial arts became a reality. I walked into a dojo and I didn't look back.

Though many practitioners start at a young age, starting as an adult has given me a unique perspective on the art. It has allowed for me to do a number of things; such as give advice to others who enter Taekwondo as adults, especially women, women who are interested in the art, doing it for health, and/or self-defense, and as an adult one can appreciate the art and other things that it encompass more than a child who practices Taekwondo, and don't get me wrong, I have seen some children as young as 6 who are lethal.

I am dedicated in training in Taekwondo, it's become my mission, I eat, drink, and sleep it. It brings me great satisfaction. It's made me a better person and to help others gives me even a greater feeling.

One of the biggest reasons why I wanted to create this blog was to help others understand the art who are interested in joining, but might be at first afraid to. I know I was. When I first walked into my dojo and saw my Korean Instructor in front of a group of men and women who were doing push-ups, splits, breaking wooden boards with their bare hands, I was intimidated and thought it would be impossible, but quickly these peers became a family to me, my Taekwondo family, they encouraged me, built my confidence, we share tips, and methods that I want to share with others.

I quickly learned that there is nothing that a human can't do without will power and that will power has to come from you. I will motivate you, share with you stories that will encourage you, but at the end of the day you need to make that decision, are you ready for it?

3 comments :

  1. Great intro to the Dojo life. I feel your pain on the weight gain as I have always been as big as a bear. (Florida black bear, not a grizzly) :)

    Committing to something and sticking with it is hard for many of us. I commend you on your persistence and determination. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this topic! Martial arts is very inspiring. I look forward to reading what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another great topic Nikita.

    If you can walk into a dojo, then improving your writing will be easy.

    I’ve already addressed some of your issues in the lectures. You have an important story to tell. You should want to tell it clearly.

    You have a problem with commas in places where there should be a period. You try to pack too much into your sentences.

    A few of my favorite memories involve movie nights, cooking and baking, dancing, board games, and we loved traveling and exploring new places. One of my favorite continents being South America and their beautiful culture.

    That’s too much. That second sentence is not even a complete sentence.

    A few of my favorite family memories include late night rounds of Yahtzee on our cabin porch, seeing Close Encounters at a drive-in in the old family station wagon when I was seven years old, and taking a cruise along the Alaskan coast where we witnessed glaciers falling into the ocean.

    Do you see the difference? Detail. My sentence is not too much because I take the time to stop and describe some real moments. Maybe you are keeping it pseudonymous, but I didn’t give myself away with those particulars. I just engaged you.

    Don’t use the word “being.” “I was being.” Look up passive versus active voice in writing.

    My older sister being an over achiever, an overall amazing athlete and scholar it was hard to compare, and my young brother being also a natural athlete, the baby of the house, and only son, was even harder to compete for attention with.

    Look at the first half of your sentence there. First, it should be its own sentence. My older sister being an over achiever, an overall amazing athlete and scholar it was hard to compare… Then I have to ask, it was hard to compare to what? It was hard for you to compare yourself with her? It was difficult for her to compare herself with you? Either way, it is expressed awkwardly.

    “My older sister was the overachiever, both an athlete and a scholar. My younger brother was the baby, the only son, and also a great athlete.”

    While my siblings were athletic and intellectuals, I found myself being the natural comedian that I am, if not natural, I tried pretty damn hard to be funny.

    Let’s try again.

    “My older sister was the overachiever, both an athlete and a scholar. My younger brother was the baby, the only son, and also a great athlete.

    “Starving for attention in the middle, I was the comedian.”

    You could add more detail there too. What kind of athletes were your siblings? What kind of comic where you?

    The audience only cares about what you can do for them Nikita. This is why I ask you to write an autobiography and then a subject defense. Your defense is the better biography because it is more focused on the credibility you have to share with people.

    I can’t wrap my head around middle child, professional, artist, photographer, etc.

    Unless you are my best friend, I just don’t have the time.

    I can keep Taekwondo in my head if I care about Taekwondo. Or maybe you can convince me to care, if that is your one focus.

    Your defense is long. You could tighten it up. Again, don’t bury your lead.

    Which of the following is the better sentence?

    I gained quite a bit of weight in college, and when I say quite a bit of weight, I mean I gained an entire person, and when I say an entire person, I mean I gained about 60 pounds.

    While some gain the freshman 15 in college, I gained the sophomore 15, the junior 15, and the senior 15.


    Both are brave. The second one is clever and to the point.

    You are brave to talk about your weight and it is great credibility for your subject.

    Try to cut your subject defense in half. Make it half as many words and still tell us the story of how you went from sitting on the couch to breaking it in half.

    Good work. Good effort.

    ReplyDelete